Monday, 30 June 2014
Sunday, 29 June 2014
[Biodiv] 2014-06-29 NRMI: This Issue: Measuring and Monitoring Forest Degradation and Deforestation and Some Other Good Things.
2014-06-29 NRMI: NATURAL RESOURCE MONITORING ITEMS OF INTEREST
This Issue: Measuring and Monitoring Forest Degradation and Deforestation and Some Other Good Things.
MEASURING AND MONITORING FOREST DEGRADATION AND DEFORESTATION – The tracking of forest degradation and deforestation has received considerable attention in recent years. Here are some sites that may be of interest.
ARD. 2002. Critical Analysis of Current Deforestation Rate Estimations for Mexico. Report submitted to the United States Agency for International Development. 32 p.
Asner, Gregory P. 2009? Measuring Carbon Emissions from Tropical Deforestation: An Overview. Environmental Defense Fund. 11 p.
Asner, Gregory P. et al. 2009. Automated mapping of tropical deforestation and forest degradation: CLASlite. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 3, 033543. 24 p.
Baldauf, Thomas et al. 2009. Case Studies on Measuring and Assessing Forest Degradation - Monitoring degradation in the scope of REDD. FAO Forest Resources Assessment Working Paper 162. 19 p.
Böttcher, Hannes et al. 2009. An assessment of monitoring requirements and costs of 'Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation'. Carbon Balance Manag. 4: 7.
Brewer, C.K. et al. 2011. Forest carbon monitoring: A review of selected remote sensing and carbon measurement tools for REDD+. RSAC-10018-RPT1. Salt Lake City, UT: USDA, Forest Service, Remote Sensing Applications Center. 35 p.
Butler, Rhett A. 2011. Monitoring deforestation: an interview with Gilberto Camara, head of Brazil's space agency INPE. Mongabay.com.
Chomitz, Kenneth M.; Wertz-Kanounnikoff, Sheila 2005. Measuring the initial impacts on deforestation of Mato Grosso's program for environmental control.WPS3762. 58 p.
Couturier, Stéphane et al.2012. Measuring Tropical Deforestation with Error Margins: A Method for REDD Monitoring in South-Eastern Mexico. In: Sudarshana, P. ed. 2012 Tropical Forest, Chapter 14. 269-296.
DeFries, Ruth et al. 2006. Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Deforestation in Developing Countries: Considerations for Monitoring and Measuring. GOFC-GOLD Report No. 26. 30 p.
DeVries, Ben, et al. 2012. Monitoring the impact of REDD+ implementation in the UNESCO Kafa Biosphere Reserve, Ethiopia. Sensing a Changing World. 5 p.
DeVries, Ben, et al. 2013. Detecting Tropical Deforestation and Forest Degradation at High Temporal Resolution in Support of REDD+ MRV. Abstract.
Downton, Mary W. 1995. Measuring Tropical Deforestation: Development of the Methods. Environmental Conservation, 22: 229-240. Abstract.
Dyk, Andrew. 2011. Canadian Deforestation Mapping and Carbon Accounting for Kyoto Agreement. ArcNews Summer.
Freund, Jeremy T. 2013. Measuring deforestation – A statistical approach. CARPE Technical Toolkit Workshop. 20 slides.
GFW. N.d.. Measuring Deforestation in Real-Time – Global Forest Watch.
Goetz, Scott J. et al. 2009. Mapping and monitoring carbon stocks with satellite observations: a comparison of methods. Carbon Balance and Management 4:2
Goetz, Scott; Dubayah, Ralph. 2011. Advances in remote sensing technology and implications for measuring and monitoring forest carbon stocks and change. Carbon Management 2(3): 231-244.
GOFC-GOLD, 2009, Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and degradation in developing countries: a sourcebook of methods and procedures for monitoring, measuring and reporting, GOFC-GOLD Report version COP14-2, GOFC-GOLD Project Office, Natural Resources Canada, Alberta, Canada) 185 p.
Gunlycke, Naemi; Tuomaala, Anja. 2011.Detecting forest degradation in Marakwet district, Kenya, using remote sensing and GIS. Seminar Series no. 200. 78 p.
Herold, Martin et al. 2011. Options for monitoring and estimating historical carbon emissions from forest degradation in the context of REDD+. Carbon Balance and Management 6(13)
Hirata, Yasumasa. 2008. Monitoring of deforestation and forest degradation using remote sensing techniques for REDD policy implementation. 25- 27 June 2008, UNFCCC REDD Workshop, Tokyo. 30 slides.
Langer, Andreas Johannes. 2009. Monitoring tropical forest degradation and deforestation in Borneo, Southeast Asia. Dissertation. 176 p.
Leckie, Donald G. et al. 2000. Possible systems for measuring and reporting on deforestation in Canada under the Kyoto Protocol. Presented at the conference on the “Role of Boreal Forest and Forestry in the Global Carbon Budget”, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, May 8-12, 2000.10 p.
Lund, H. Gyde. 1999. Accountability of afforestation, reforestation, and deforestation. Japanese Forestry Society Annual Convention - Global Environmental Issues and World Forests, Matsuyama, Japan, 2-5 April .16 p.
Mitchard, E.T.A. et al. 2011. Measuring biomass changes due to woody encroachment and deforestation/degradation in a forest–savanna boundary region of central Africa using multi-temporal L-band radar backscatter. Remote Sensing of Environment 115(11): 2861-2873. Abstract.
Mitchard, ETA, et al. 2013. A novel application of satellite radar data: measuring carbon sequestration and detecting degradation in a community forestry project in Mozambique. Plant Ecology & Diversity 6(1): 159-170.
Murdiyarso, Daniel et al. 2009? How do we measure and monitor forest degradation? Chapter 10. In: Moving Ahead with REDD Issues, Options and Implications. 22 p.
Murdiyarso, David et al, 2008. Measuring and monitoring forest degradation for REDD Implications of country circumstances. CIFOR Info Brief No. 16. 6 p.
Olander, Lydia P. et al. 2006. Establishing Credible Baselines for Quantifying Avoided Carbon Emissions from Reduced Deforestation and Forest Degradation. Prepared for Coalition for Rainforest Nations NI WP 06-01. 28 p.
Puyravaud, Jeane-Philippe. 2003, Standardizing the calculation of the annual rate of deforestation. Forest Ecology and Management 177: 593-596.
Reimer, Floran et al. 2012 Monitoring Deforestation for REDD: An overview of options for the Juma Sustainable Development Reserve Project. CIFOR Tech Brief. 4 p.
Roberts,Freya. 2012. Why are new estimates of emissions from tropical deforestation lower? The Carbon Brief. Blog.
Skole, D.L. et al. 1994? Physical and Human Dimensions of Deforestation in Amazonia.
Staff. 2008 Spot the Rancher -What the numbers do and don't say about deforestation. The Economist.
Staff. 2011. New Airborne Methods to Measure Deforestation and Forests. Planet Save.
Tetra Tech 2001-2003. Mexico: Technical Assistance for Determining Deforestation Rates in Mexico (Forest Inventory Activity) /Technical Assistance for Developing a Carbon Index for Mexico. Tetra Tech.
Tucker, C.J.; Townshend, J.R.G. 2000. Strategies for monitoring tropical deforestation using satellite data. Int. J. Remote Sensing. 21(6 & 7): 1461–1471.
Vadez, Vincent et al. 2003. Validity of Self-Reports to Measure Deforestation: Evidence from the Bolivian Lowlands. Field Methods 15(3): 289–304.
Violini, Soraya. 2013. Deforestation: Change Detection in Forest Cover using Remote Sensing. UNC and CONAE. 30 p.
Wangen, Steve. 2013. Monitoring of deforestation and forest degradation in Mexico. SILVIS Lab.
Wertz-Kanounnikoff, Sheila 2008. Monitoring forest emissions - A review of methods. CIFOR Working Paper No. 39. 24 p.
SOME PUBLICATIONS/URLS OF INTEREST
FAO. 2014. State of the World‘s Forests - Enhancing the socioeconomic benefits from forests. Rome, FAO. 133 p.
Reed, S.E., et al. 2014. Guidelines and incentives for conservation development in local land-use regulations. Conserv. Biol. 28(1):258-268. Abstract.
Roch, L.; Jaeger, J.A.G. 2014. Monitoring an ecosystem at risk: what is the degree of grassland fragmentation in the Canadian Prairies? Environ. Monit. Assess. 186(4):2505-2534.
Rogan, John; Milleer, Jennifer. 2006. 6 Integrating GIS and Remotely Sensed Data for Mapping Forest Disturbance and Change. 38 p.
Rundel, P.W., et al. 2014. Tree invasions into treeless areas: mechanisms and ecosystem processes. Biol. Invasions 16(3):663-675. Page 1.
Schatz, B., et al. 2014. A decision tool for listing species for protection on different geographic scales and administrative levels. J. Nature Conserv. 22(1):75-83 Abstract.
Stokstad, E. 2014. Major conservation group guts science team in strategy shift. Science 343(6175):1069. Summary.
Sverdrup-Thygeson, A., et al. 2014. Spatial and temporal scales relevant for conservation of dead-wood associated species: current status and perspectives. Biodivers. Conserv. 23(3):513-535. Page 1.
Taft, H.R., et al.. 2014. A comparison of three statistical methods for analysing extinction threat status. Environ. Conserv. 41(1):37-44. Summary.
Vidal, O., et al. 2014. Trends in deforestation and forest degradation after a decade of monitoring in the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve in Mexico. Conserv. Biol. 28(1):177-186. Abstract.
Visser, V., et al. 2014. Unlocking the potential of Google Earth as a tool in invasion science. Biol. Invasions 16(3):513-534.
Wilson, J.R.U., et al. 2014. A standardized set of metrics to assess and monitor tree invasions. Biol. Invasions 16(3):535-551. Page 1.
Woziwoda, B.; Kopeć, D. 2014. Afforestation or natural succession? Looking for the best way to manage abandoned cut-over peatlands for biodiversity conservation. Ecol. Eng. 63:143-152. Abstract.
Yemshanov, D.; et al. 2014. There is no silver bullet: The value of diversification in planning invasive species surveillance. Ecological Economics 104: 61-72. From Barbara Conkling, USFS.
Zhang, Difei. 2010. Utilization and Modification of Point Sampling and Line Sampling in the Forestry Survey. American Journal of Biostatistics 1 (1): 67-74
KEEPING UP-TO-DATE – PRODUCTS, NEWSLETTERS, EMAIL LISTS, JOURNALS. See also http://botany.si.edu/puhttps://www.createspace.com/3489254bs/bcn/links.cfm, http://scholar.google.com/, and Directory of Open Access Journals. http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=findJournals.
EnsoMOSAIC VD Quadcopter - complete UAV system. http://www.mosaicmill.com/products/complete_UAV.html. From Janne Sarkeala, MosaicMill Ltd.Finland
ESRI News for Forestry – Access the Summer 2014 issue at http://www.esri.com/~/media/Files/Pdfs/library/newsletters/forestry/summer-2014.pdf.
InFO News – Issue No. 20 of FAO’s forestry newsletter is now available at http://forestry.fao.msgfocus.com/q/1bqx3JYnfuOWVumG1m8/wv.
MOVING AHEAD – OPPORTUNITIES – See also: Scholarships-Positions, Forestry, Arboriculture, Agriculture, Agronomy & Natural Resource Management Jobs at http://www.earthworks-jobs.com/forest.htm, Riley Guide to Agriculture, Forestry, & Farming Jobs http://www.rileyguide.com/agric.html, Forestry Careers & Degrees: A Guide for Students - http://www.firescience.org/forestry-degree-programs-online/ ; Finding Your Dream Job in Natural Resources http://www.cyber-sierra.com/nrjobs/, http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/index.html The Job Seekers Guide for International and Environmental Careers http://timresch.net/ejobs/index.htm and Scholarship Listing http://www.scholarshiplisting.com/.
Climate Resilient Participatory Afforestation and Reforestation Project, Bangladesh - We, SAMES Pvt. Ltd., are looking for someone to propose for the position of Forest Resources Monitoring and Assessment Specialist (International) for the above mention project. For details, please contact Engr. Muslima Khatun at email@example.com.
NEXT ISSUE: GIS and Ecological Connectivity.
Pay It Forward – Cheers, Gyde
-- H. Gyde Lund Forest Information Services 6238 Settlers Trail Place Gainesville, VA 20155-1374 USA Tel: +1-703-743-1755 Email: gyde<at>comcast.net CV: http://home.comcast.net/~gyde/cv.html. Publications: http://home.comcast.net/~gyde/lundpub.htm. Skype: forestgyde
Posted by: "H. Gyde Lund" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|
.Post message: email@example.com
-Please consider the environment before printing this email or any attachments.
-Meet Friends at international events: http://www.datingwithoutborders.com
--Find Friends Beyond Your Campus or Connect to Student Friends: http://www.academiclove.com
Moderator, Biodiversity Survival
Online Scholarships for Higher Education And Research (OSHEAR): http://www.oshear.com
READ MORE RECENT NEWS AND OPINIONS
- ► 2016 (239)
- ► 2015 (300)
- SciDev.Net weekly update: Live debate and Spotligh...
- [Biodiv] 2014-06-29 NRMI: This Issue: Measuring an...
- [ANFES] 2014-06-29 NRMI: This Issue: Measuring and...
- FW: SciDev.Net weekly update: Palestinian women in...
- Fwd: ENB on the Side - First UN Environment Assemb...
- Fwd: BNT Vol. 16 No. 119 - Première Assemblée des ...
- Fwd: africasd-l digest: June 24, 2014
- Fwd: forests-l digest: June 24, 2014
- Fwd: BNT Vol. 9 No. 625 - Dix-huitième réunion de ...
- Fwd: post2015-l digest: June 24, 2014
- Fwd: biodiversity-l digest: June 23, 2014
- Fwd: africasd-l digest: June 23, 2014
- Fwd: BNT Vol. 16 No. 118 - Première Assemblée des ...
- Fwd: ENB Vol. 9 No. 624 - Eighteenth meeting of th...
- Fwd: BNT Vol. 9 No. 624 - Dix-huitième réunion de ...
- [Biodiv] 2014-06-22 NRMI: This Issue: Modeling Eco...
- [ANFES] 2014-06-22 NRMI: This Issue: Modeling Ecol...
- FW: E-Source, No. 2, June 2014
- Fwd: 2014 UNCCD Land for Life winners announced!
- Fwd: africasd-l digest: June 17, 2014
- Fwd: land-l digest: June 17, 2014
- Fwd: biodiversity-l digest: June 17, 2014
- Fwd: forests-l digest: June 17, 2014
- Fwd: post2015-l digest: June 17, 2014
- Fwd: water-l digest: June 17, 2014
- Fwd: land-l digest: June 16, 2014
- Fwd: biodiversity-l digest: June 16, 2014
- Fwd: forests-l digest: June 16, 2014
- Fwd: forests-l digest: June 16, 2014
- Fwd: water-l digest: June 16, 2014
- Fwd: water-l digest: June 16, 2014
- Fwd: BNT Vol. 9 No. 619 - Cinquième réunion du Gro...
- Fwd: Africa Adaptation Newsletter- 6th issue
- FW: SciDev.Net weekly update: View our GM debate, ...
- [Biodiv] 2014-06-15 NRMI: This Issue: Illicit Drug...
- [ANFES] 2014-06-15 NRMI: This Issue: Illicit Drugs...
- FW: SciDev.Net weekly update: Join our live GM deb...
- [Biodiv] 2014-06-08 NRMI: This Issue: Recreation a...
- [ANFES] 2014-06-08 NRMI: This Issue: Recreation an...
- Assessing Women and Environment
- Assessing Women and Environment
- African Women Leaders in Agriculture and Environme...
- Fwd: Side Event "Reducing Emissions from Agricultu...
- Fwd: FW: New C4C report: Knowledge4Climate Action
- Fwd: Forests, Land Use and the Green Climate Fund:...
- Fwd: Two New Papers on Climate Change and Conflict...
- Fwd: New from CDKN: Learning from city, subnationa...
- Fwd: biodiversity-l digest: May 31, 2014
- Fwd: water-l digest: June 01, 2014
- Fwd: INDIGENOUS AND LOCAL KNOWLEDGE HAS IMPORTANT ...
- Fwd: land-l digest: June 02, 2014
- Fwd: biodiversity-l digest: June 02, 2014
- Fwd: forests-l digest: June 02, 2014
- Fwd: Save the Date: Bonn Side Event "Ecosystem-bas...
- Fwd: biodiversity-l digest: June 03, 2014
- Fwd: africasd-l digest: June 03, 2014
- Fwd: forests-l digest: June 03, 2014
- Fwd: water-l digest: June 03, 2014
- BBC WORLD - CLIMATE CHANGE
- GoDaddy.co.uk Presents - It's in the Bag Advert
- Her Reality, the Challenges of African Women
- Water and Sanitation Issues in Africa
- Water and sanitation in Africa
- SciDev.Net weekly update: Tackling climate change ...
- SciDev.Net weekly update: Including, is hydropower...
- [Biodiv] 2014-06-01 NRMI: This Issue: World Pine P...
- [ANFES] 2014-06-01 NRMI: This Issue: World Pine Pl...
- ▼ June (67)
- ► 2013 (160)
- ► 2012 (100)
- ► 2011 (301)
WASH news Africa
Jobs4Development.com Customised Jobs Feed
Eldis Climate Change
Eldis Climate Adaptation
CEPF Top Stories
Water Supply and Sanitation News
CBD News Headlines
Sustainable Development Policy & Practice - Daily RSS Feed
IISD - Latest Additions
Climate Change Headlines
WWF - Environmental News
IUCN - News
IRIN - Water & Sanitation
- Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA)
- Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET)
- International Development Research Centre
- The Coherence in Information for Agricultural Research for Development (CIARD)
- Platform for Agrobiodiversity
- Plant Resources of Tropical Africa (PROTA)
- Global Wheat Rust Monitoring System
- Indigenous Food Systems Network.
- African Network of Scientific and Technological Institutions